Monday 29 June 2015

Date Loaf

This recipe is an oldie but a goodie.  It is something I remember my mum cooking for us when we were kids and when I found some quite old and dry looking dates in the pantry I decided to turn them into this loaf.  The recipe calls for walnuts which work really well as they are quite bitter and make a nice contrast to the sweet loaf.  I used 50/50 walnuts and almonds as I did not have enough walnuts and the almonds still worked well.  I doubled this recipe and froze one. loaf and they freeze well


Date Loaf

1 Cup of Chopped Dates
1 Cup of Boiling Water
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbs Butter
3/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
1 Beaten Egg
1 Cup of chopped Walnuts
2 Cups Plain Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder

Put your dates, butter, baking soda and water into a large bowl and stir until the butter is melted and then set aside  for 1 hour.
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and grease a 22 cm loaf tin.
Beat your sugar, egg and walnuts into the date mix and the sift in the flour and baking powder stirring until just combined.
Pour into your loaf tin and bake for 35 - 45 mins.
When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning onto a cooling rack.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Stewart it is so easy and the result is amazing. Such basic ingredients and even it your dates are a bit old a dry it will still be great.

      Delete
  2. I love date loaf.....my mum used to make it all the time...you've inspired me to give it a go. How's the house selling going? we are also on the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie the house is getting lots of lookers and there is at least one couple who are very interested. Good luck with selling.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment