Monday 23 December 2013

Very Boozy Christmas Pudding

This is a recipe that I adapted from another one and I have been really happy with the results each time.  It is not hard and can easily be made by a beginner or with the kids.
While this pudding does get better with age it is still good even if made and eaten straight away.
My the dried fruit measures are what I used this year but in the past I have also used prunes. dried peaches, dried cranberries and dried figs.  All I do is ensure I have the same total weight in dried fruit each time.


Very Boozy Christmas Pudding

870 gm Mixed Fruit
375 gm Raisins
100 gm Currants
225 gm Dried Apricots
100 gm Glace Cherries
1 tsp Nutmeg
2 tsp Mixed Spice
4 Eggs Lightly beaten
250 gm Melted Butter
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
225 gm Jar of Cranberry Sauce
2 Cups Brandy
1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
1/2 Cup Self Raising Flour
Cooking Twine

Start the day before by chopping all your cherries in half and then placing them along with all your dried fruit in a large bowl.  Add the cranberry sauce, spices and Brandy and stir to combine.  Cover with plastic and leave overnight, stirring a few time during this period.
The next day grease your pudding basin/s.  This recipe will fill either a 10 cup basin or in my case an 8 cup basin and a plastic one left over from a shop brought pudding.  If you are using a metal basin it pays to line it with a round of baking paper as well.  To do this fold square of baking paper on the diagonal, and then on the diagonal again twice more bringing the points from the long side together. You can then cut an arc across the wide end if you want to fully line the basin or across the point to line the sides.  When you unfold it you can line your tin.  If you are using a plastic basin you will only need to butter it.

Mix your eggs, butter, brown sugar and flours well until combined and then mix into your fruit mix.  Spoon your mix into your prepared basin.

I covered both of my basins with a circle of baking paper tied this with cooking twine very tightly under the rim of each basin to prevent the pudding getting wet.  My large pudding basin has a lid so I clip that down over the baking paper and the plastic one has a lid too so I do the same.  If your basin does not have a lid you will need to secure a piece of foil over the top of the baking paper.  I place the smaller pudding in the fridge for cooking later (they can sit in the fridge for 24 hours no issue).

I cook my pudding on the bottom section of a bamboo steamer in a large stock pot but you could use a metal trivet or something else to keep your pudding off the bottom of the pot.  Fill with boiling water until it is half way up the side of your basin, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 hours making sure you top up the mater if needed.

When cooked remove from the water and let it stand for 30 minutes before turning out.  This is great warm or cold and can be served with ice cream, cream or custard but I think it goes best with home made egg custard.

How do you like your Christmas Pudding?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment