Monday 21 January 2013

For the Love of Books

Over the weekend Brisbane hosted its Lifeline BookFest and my best friend and I meet up to hunt down some bargains along with thousands of others.
For anyone who has not heard of the bookfest it is one of Lifelines major fundraisers.  Lifeline is run by Uniting Care.   Uniting Care Community is one of the Queensland's largest community service providers, offering Lifeline services, child and family care, counselling, disability support and social inclusion programs throughout Queensland. 
The bookfest is the worlds largest second hand book sale with millions of books on offer every day.  It takes up half of the Brisbane convention and exhibition center and is attended by thousands many pushing supermarket trolleys full to the top with books.  As well as book they also sell CD's DVD's, puzzles and board games.

Row upon row of tables of books
 I have been to the book fest quite a few times and I know to take along my nanna troley like the one below.  And when it is full that is it time to leave (although sometimes there are a few more books loaded on top ready to tumble off at any moment).  Otherwise I could just go on and on.

 I got a heap of books, mainly fiction, and although I tried to avoid the gardening section the lure was just too great.  But it was worth it.  I picked up this excellent little book all about wild herbs for $2 which is both a field guide and recipe book.  I have not had a chance to read it yet but from the brief skim through it looks very interesting.
I also managed to get some board games and puzzles for $2 each.  One of the puzzles has never even been opened so it will have all the pieces but the other well I will not know till I give it a try.
Puzzles and games
I picked up a game of scattergories that has only been played a few times and a cute retro set of board games that has all the pieces and is in great condition.  You can see the games on the front and I had heard of all of them except the Motor Race and the Steeple Chase.  
Do you remember these?
Retro Board Games
After all that looking at books we headed off to a nearby cafe for lunch and spent a lovely hour catching up on all the news.


3 comments:

  1. I love books to the extent that we may need to move out soon to make room for all our books! Sounds amazing! Wish I could have gone. And I must add that uniting care are organised by the Uniting Church and do amazing work. They even do some sustainability program's to assist people on low incomes to lower their utility costs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh I would just get lost in a room like that. I picked up a scrabble game at a garage sale recently, but still haven't found anyone that wants to play with me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did really well Fee! now to get reading :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment