Tuesday 22 January 2013

Bread and Butter Pickles

Last year I made these pickles for the first time and they were amazing.  So good in fact that when I got to the bottom of the last bottle I was devastated and was kicking myself that I had not made more with the glut of cucumbers we had last summer.
So this year I will not be making the same mistake.  I am going to make a couple of batches and have just got the first one under my belt.
These are great as part of a ploughman's lunch, fantastic with cheese on crackers and great in burgers or sandwiches.
Bread and Butter Pickles

Part 1 - Vegetables
1kg Cucumbers (young and freshly picked)
2 Onions
3Tbs Salt (Not Rock Salt)
1/2 Cup Hot water

In a saucepan dissolve the salt in the hot water.  Slice the cucumbers very finely.  I use a mandolin but you could use the slicer attachment on a food processor or do it by hand but thin even slices are the key.
Slice the onions thinly as well ideally the same thickness as the cucumber.
Mix the onion and cucumber in a bowl and pour over the salty water then mix thoroughly and leave for 3 hours.
Tip into a colander and press as much as liquid out as possible.
Part 2 - Liquid
2 Cups White Vinegar
2 Cups White Sugar
4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
1/2 Tsp Chilli Flakes

In a stock pot heat all of the liquid ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the drained vegetables and simmer for 3 minutes stirring a few times.
Spoon into sterilised jars making sure all the vegetables are covered in the pickling liquid and seal.

This is so worth making even if you buy your cucumbers.

1 comment:

  1. They look great Fiona. I remember having these as a kid. I want to give them a go, unfortunately I will have to buy the cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment