Tuesday 12 April 2011

1st Soup of the Season

Mmmmmm Soup.  Tasty, nourishing, 1000's of variations, every cuisine has some, can be made in bulk, gets better with age and generally a lost cost meal.
Yesterday I made the first soup of the Season.  The cool season that is.  Here in the Subtropics we only have two real seasons, 1 hot the other cool.
So what made it off the blocks this weekend?  Vegetable soup with Bacon Bones and Macaroni.
Bacon Bone and Vegetable Soup


This soup evokes memories of my childhood as this is something my mother made and probably still makes.  I have no idea if it is the same as the way she does it but it tastes good and I think it is pretty close.

 So here is the recipe. I know it says saute the onions, carrot and celery and in reality you could just throw it all in together and add water, but I believe the sauteing of the vegetables makes all the difference.

2 TBS Oil
1TBS Butter
2 Brown Onions Diced
4 Carrots Diced
1 Bunch Celery
1/4 Cabbage (Any Variety other than Red)
Bacon Bones
Water
1Cup Macaroni
Pepper

Dice onions, carrots and celery and saute in a stockpot with Butter and oil until softened.  Add the Cabbage and bacon bones and cover with water (about 3-4 Litres).  Bring to the boil and after 1/2 an hour add 1 cup of dried macaroni.  Cook until the macaroni is soft.  Add pepper and serve with Crusty Bread.

Notes:
  • The volume of water will some what depend on your bacon bones.  The ones I had were quite salty and I had to increase the water content.
  • In the past I have also used split peas and soup mix and when we were kids mum used alphabeties (pasta in the shape of letters)

3 comments:

  1. Yummo! I love Pea & Ham soup and always make a bit pot in winter to freeze and give my Dad some, as that is what Mum used to make. Good to see we are keeping up with the traditions Fiona! It has starting to get cool here over the last couple of days too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog. I can't wait to try this. Thanks....Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, soup, glorious soup! I love soup season! We had a long soup on the weekend. Cabbage from the garden, eggs from our chickens, chillies from the herb patch....and noodles from Vietnam....dangnabit, there goes the carbon footprint AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment